Monday, February 24, 2014

Stencils Techniques!


Pin It

I have lots to share with you today! It is Creative Challenge time at MFT and we were challenged to use our stencils in creative ways!

Be sure you check out all the creative ideas with stencils on the MFT blog....there are TONS of them shown off by the designers!

ALL MFT products are in a supply list at the bottom of this post. 

First up, my attempt at creating depth of field using stencils and my copic airbrush system.

This silhouette scene is to show how things fade, desaturate and cool off as they get father away from you. Those who have taken the copic intermediate class know just what I am talking about!

I am using the WILDFLOWERS stencil and started in the background using BV31, then I airbrushed a few more that appear closer with C3, then worked up to BV25, then C7 and finally right in the foreground W9.

The background I airbrushed with YR31 and YR61 and then took some blender solution and flicked little drops, just to add to the impressionistic look.

I matted it up with some STEEL GRAY cardstock and then a SMOOTH WHITE card base and added my sentiment with the HAPPY HELLOS Die-namics. I cut the sentiment in both the smooth white and steel gray to help it stand out and have depth too.
Here is a look at the inside of the card....using all 3 of my favorite gray inks! Grout Gray, Steel Blue, and Steel Gray! This is using the GRAND PEACEFUL WILDFLOWERS stamp set.
WOW....did you need to put on some shades to see this card? I love to play around with mixed media techniques, so let me show you how I did this.....
I have some Extra Heavy Gel from Golden and I mixed a couple drops of LEMON DROP reinker to color my paste.
I used my flat spatula to scrape the paste along the surface of the SCALLOPS stencil.
Gently lift off the stencil to reveal the paper. I missed areas on purpose. Let this dry (cure).
Now to add some more color! I sprayed both Red Pepper and Steam Adirondack color wash on my kraft sheet and dragged my paper through it. I also came in with a sponge and added a little Mustard Seed Distress ink. It turned out SOOOOO cool!

For a final touch I cut the BANNER GREETINGS Die-namics from black licorice card stock and  stamped the sentiment and embossed in white powder. I colored up the embossing powder with copic ink.

Last up is this aged beauty. Here I left the heavy gel medium in white and then did the same process with the DAMASK stencil as I did above.

To the left you see how this creates such a pretty raised pattern.
I colored the background of my white cardstock by filling a SHIMMER MIST bottle with 10 or so drops of Blu Raspberry reinker.
Let this dry, you can speed up the process by using your heat tool.
Lastly, I sponged some walnut stain and brushed courderoy ink over the raised damask pattern.

The sentiment is from the LOVE STORY stamp set that is embossed in gold powder and cut out with the DESIGNER LABELS 1 STAX. Finished off with a hot fudge button and ribbon.

HERE are all my MFT products used in these projects!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! How amazing are you!

jan metcalf said...

The last two cards are so pretty! Great job with the paste and use of color!!

Sharon Harnist said...

Beautiful samples, Sherrie!

AmyR said...

All 3 of these cards are so cool - I want to pull out my stencils and play some more now! I especially love the second one - I had wondered how you made it!