Friday, February 12, 2010

100 Sketch Challenges! Video Tutorial

Wowie! We are at 100 sketches for Taylor's Friday Sketch Challenges! We can't let this occasion go by without celebrating a little! Taylor has some fun prizes up her sleeve all you need to do is play along and post this banner on your blog, please go to TAYLOR'S blog to get the code.
Taylor is giving away one $25 gift certificate to a random participant and FIVE $25 certificates to the top 5 cards judged by the Taylored Expressions Sketch Crew (that includes me)!

Here is my inspiration with the #100 sketch. I paired up many of my favorite things.
MELISSA FRANCES papers and rub-ons
MY FAVORITE THINGS pure innocence girl
SPELLBINDER dies
COPIC PRODUCTS!
A couple things to note: Rub-on sentiments are fabulous! They stick to uneven surfaces and even to twill...like I did here!
Sewing on paper adds such a pretty vintage touch. To sew around the circle....just go slow and keep lifting your presser foot (with the needle in the down position) and shifting your paper. I did this about every 5 stitches or so.
Try to do all your pencil coloring (like I did for the shadowing around my girl) AFTER you are all done your marker coloring. This way you won't be in danger of clogging your nibs with the waxy residue of the pencil.
Here is a close shot of the main image....I colored her with copic markers, then I shadowed around her with my prismacolor pencils and while my circle die was still in place I airbrushed a very soft BV0000 to change my white paper to a soft lavender.
I was meaning to post this tutorial last week on how I color skin tones....so I finally got to it.
The video is a little dark, as the day is really rainy and gloomy here, but you get the idea...
Here is the video version of coloring skin:


Here is the sketch so you can play along in TAYLOR'S challenge.
Don't forget to see what the rest of the sketch crew came up with:
Jami Sibley: More is More
Monika Davis: M.A.D. Stamper
Lynn Mercurio: Stamperosity
Melissa Sauls: In Stamping Mode
Rachel Sztonyk: Gingerbread Gallery
Alice Lihsuan-Wertz: Alice's Little Wonderland
Lisa Hjulberg: The Craft's Meow
And welcome too a new sketch girl.....LORI CRAIG! Woohoo! I love Lori to bits and I'm sure you will enjoy her fabulous takes on the sketches as well!

I hope you all enjoy your weekend....I'm looking forward to the OPENING CEREMONIES and the OLYMPIC EVENTS here in the next two weeks! I think we will venture into the city next week and check out all the VANCOUVER highlights!

19 comments:

Taylor said...

What a sweet card, Sherrie! I love how you "dirtied" it up along the bottom! Happy 100 Sketches! :)

Monika/Buzsy said...

Fabulous card Sherrie! Love the cute image, the great coloring... you made this sketch look so easy! :o) Have a great weekend!

Jami said...

Love love love this soft vintage feel and of course your coloring is beyond fabulous...as always!

Karen Motz said...

Gorgeous Sherrie!!! This is so soft and sweet! Thanks for the fab skin colouring tutorial too!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Gorgeous, Sherrie! I loved the tutorial too!

Basement Stamper said...

Wow, great card!!!

Linda Carson said...

Precious! Thanks for the video & tips on rub-ons!

Angelnorth said...

Super sweet card Sherrie, love the "dirty" bottom edge - perfect!

Gingerbread Gal♥ said...

This card is so adorable Sherrie! Thanks for posting your video! Just amazing! Of course your coloring is just out of this world!
:) Rachel

Lisa Hjulberg said...

I'm enthralled watching you color Sherrie! Thanks for the video tutorial. Can you please do one on how you shadow around your images? I'd give anything for a lesson on that. You do it the best I've seen! I'm also enthralled by your adorable card. I'm in love with Pure Innocence. She looks so sweet with the vintage flair.

itsallrosi said...

great card, and thanks for the coloring video!

mdog said...

Great card I love the colors!

Melissa Sauls said...

Whoa!!! This just took my breath away!! ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! The cute image (LOVE HER), your coloring...and all that vintagey goodness!!! I bow to your amazing talent!!

Kathy W said...

I love what you did with this sketch. The sewing is wonderful, and I like how you added the twill on top of the flower. Thanks for sharing.

Alice said...

just adorable!! LOVE the distressed look, too! beautiful card!

Conniecrafter said...

she is too cute, love the paper, and what you did with the sketch, tfs the video!

Kelli Hull said...

Oh what a GORGEOUS CARD!!!!! Thanks for the Tut...will watch it in a minute, catching up on 90 billion emails... LOL

Corey W. said...

thank you for your tutorial! I'm new to copics and check your blog daily for ideas!!!

Mona Pendleton said...

Great tutorial Sherrie! Thanks for taking the time to share!