Wednesday, August 18, 2010

To catch a hummingbird

I never realized how hard it would be to photograph a shy hummingbird. I have been staking this one out for a few days and either he knew when my camera was available and stayed away or he nicely visited our feeder when I wasn't ready.....
They are beautiful little creatures and VERY FAST!
This one has a little red spot on his chin which I managed to capture. Now I have to wait for a very sunny day where I can crank up the shutter speed to try and catch a still of his wings. We'll see.....
You can click on these photos to see them larger if you wish.
Be back friday morning for Taylor's sketch challenge!

7 comments:

Sylvia from Minnesota said...

You got some great shots.

Anita said...

Very cool pictures! I love the red on his throat.

Fany said...

Hello!
I just love it!I am a bird lover myself, and I know how difficult it is to catch one on a picture.
You did great! Fabulous!
fany

Thanh Vo said...

Such a stunning photo to capture, Sherrie! I watched a hummingbird special on tv a couple weeks ago and they are quite spectacular in how they fly and live. They're now in my top 5 birds

Karen Motz said...

Wow, these shots are AMAZING!!!!! I've tried to photograph hummingbirds in the past and have never been able to a shot nearly as good as this!!!!!

Denise in Oz said...

These are gorgeous, wow I just recently bought myself a Digital SLR camera and can appreciate how difficult catching a shot like this would be. Just love the wings. Oh and love your blog, added you to my bloglist. Cheers Denise in Oz :)

Darlene said...

WOW good job Sherri! I've been trying to catch a shot of my hummingbird for several days and I agree, it's like he knows when I pick up the camera because before I can get in position ... he's gone!! But I'll keep trying! Your photos are awesome! TFS