Saturday, June 11, 2011

Weekend Bird Watching

 I know you have seen a bunch of hummingbird photos from me lately....but I find them to be a challenge to photograph and therefore finding it quite fun to snap pictures.
For those of you who like to play with the manual settings of a camera...these were taken on a very cloudy day here in BC.
I took them with quite a high ISO (1600) hence they are a bit grainy. I did this so that I could possibly capture the wings still. This means I had to have a very fast shutter speed 1/3200 and a low F-stop 1.8 to let enough light into my lens.
I think I will try again on a brighter day so that I don't have to have a high ISO.
These are also shot through a pane of glass (my kitchen window) which also adds a dimension of "trickiness".
For those of you interested....I am using a Canon rebel T1I with a fixed 50mm lens. I am still learning with this lens as it is tricky to get good focus with a depth of field that is so shallow at 1.8.....but it is fun to play.

ETA....I got him! Lowered my ISO and got in a little closer!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wowsers - you did great to capture this little beauty on "film". I'm a total point-and-shoot girl so I'm in awe of your skills ;)
Rx

Alvin & Denise Engler said...

I love the light in the wings and the perfect green backdrop. Look at those little feet of his! so cute.
-de

Priscilla said...

OMG - what an awesome shot!! Don't you just love these little guys?!! I just have a little Canon digital & have never been able to get a picture of the ones that visit our feeders. VERY nice!!

Corinne said...

Our hummers look at lot different then yours! Ours are the ruby throated hummers! Great Pic..
Rene

ddlady said...

That last picture is absolutely wonderful, Sherrie!!! I love hummingbirds. Thanks for sharing!

Colleen said...

I bow down before you. These photos are awesome.

Anonymous said...

great photos xx jo xx

Cathy P in AZ said...

Wow oh WOW what fabulous photos! The last one is perfection! We have beautiful hummingbirds here in AZ and trying to catch them on film is really difficult (even with all of the sun we have here)! AMAZING.

Naomi said...

I love hummingbirds...actually any birds. I currently have a pair of Eurasian collared-doves and a pair of their first brood hanging around our side yard. They made a next and laying on the next egg. I will post pictures on my blog later today! Thanks for sharing!

http://snipitytweetwhispers.blogspot.com/

Linn said...

it seems as if the lil bird was hamming it up for the camera :)

great inspiration on the clouds and the balloons i love it THANKS!!!

Margaret said...

Great hummingbird pics! It makes me think I need a new camera... I've never got shots this good!

Judy said...

Wonderful, wonderful hummingbird photos. Thank you so putting them in your blog. JudyOR