Thursday, November 22, 2007

Getting Stitchy...with some sewing hints

I am filling a Christmas order today. Love how these turned out and today's "ways to use it challenge" was just the extra push I needed to do them this morning. It was a sewing challenge and those of you who are here frequently know how I love to sew on cards! Good, cheap, strong and pretty adhesive! I used my new Papertrey snowflake set and stamped in Palette (water lily green) and Colorbox (merlot). The wonderful DP is by Cosmo Cricket, which gave me my color inspiration.

Some of you have asked for sewing machine tips:
When you come to a corner make sure your needle is DOWN in your project then lift the presser foot and pivot. If it is not quite in the right place to do your next edge then lift your needle JUST out of your project, lift your presser foot and make the slight adjustment before sewing your next line. I know many of you do this already but for those dusting off your sewing skills, this is what has worked for me. I make my stitch quite short in stitch length when I am zig zagging, this way more thread appears on my project for larger impact. When straight stitching, I lengthen the stitch length, so once again, you see more of the thread.

Here is a close up of a single card. You can see the stitching a little better. I used a nice caramel colored thread. The bow is glued on and there is a small jewel in the center of the snowflake for accent. I distressed the white a little with Antique Linen Distress Ink.
I then pasted it to a white cs base to hide the stitching, nice clean look on the inside.
Thanks for coming to look, and Happy Thanksgiving to the Americans today, wish I could join you for turkey....Yum!

10 comments:

Beth M said...

Love these cards! The color combo is great!

Deborah March said...

Just beautiful Sherrie, LOVE those ribbons!

Donna Baker said...

these are gorgeous, Sherrie!

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

Absolutely love these cards -- but then again -- I love everything you do!!! You always have such gorgeous designs!!! Mind if I link you on my Blog?

Lee said...

Sherri, thanks for the tips on sewing on cards. I always look at yours to see what you've done with the sewing, yous is PERFECT every time. This is a great card, your customers will love them.

Anonymous said...

Just LOVELY!!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful card! Simply elegant! Your sewing is perfect, too - such a talented lady.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the tips on stitching!!! Going to have to dust off my machine and try it out!!! Love these beautiful cards!!!

DeborahLynneS

Rose Ann said...

Wow...Sherrie...you rock! These are sooo pretty!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, love the colors!
Conniecrafter