Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Italian Sand and Tutorial

Grab a java, this post is a little lengthy.... What a fun card! My starting point was the SCS sketch challenge today and I really wanted to use all these adorable images from MFT! I colored all these fun images with my copics to match the ribbon I used for towels on this card. To me they reminded me of those rattan mats you buy to go to the beach. I found the ribbon in the discount bin at M's (Bonus!)
Sand Tutorial

This came to me this morning. I have this wonderful Italian sand I scooped off the beach myself. It felt a little funny packing sand in my suitcase. I was really wanting the true sand texture and dimension for this card so I mixed it with some Ultra Thick EP. I used my Glue pad to moisten a piece of cardstock and then spread this over the entire piece. I repeated this process twice just to get it nice and thick.
As you can see my original ribbon (bottom image) was not quite wide enough to be towels for my beach beauties. I sliced off the border and joined the two halves with scotch tape. It is on the backside no one will see.

Lastly a quick tip on my ribbon (towel) placement. I took my heat gun and reheated the areas where I wanted to set my towel. While the EP is still warm I smooshed the towels into the sand and they stuck wonderfully. I know this is a longer post today but I just wanted to share the fun process! Have a good one!

14 comments:

Alli Miles said...

What a cool card, not to mention great idea. Love the lil' mats too...I agree they fit perfectly.

Anonymous said...

Love it! It's perfect.

Dawn M said...

adorable! what a great idea.

Alhambra Club said...

Great card, what a wonderful idea, love the ribbon for towels and the Italian sand, just think if you use it all up you will have an excuse to go back to Italy, need more sand.

Chris Scrappin and Stampin in Texas said...

Long post or not, this is truly a WOW card...Love the ribbon, I thought for sure it was the brown paper raffatea (sp?)

Very cool! thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

Awesome card! Great idea with the sand.

Christen said...

What a great idea!

Rose Ann said...

Wow...this card is sooo awesome! Great job with the sand and mats! Thanks for filling us in on how you created this beauty!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Sherrie, this is just amazing! I want to hop on the card and grab a beach towel! :) What a clever creation!

Swamp Tulip said...

Super idea and great card. Awesome!

Teresa

Michele Kovack said...

How cool is this? And thrifty too... the sand I mean!

Kristi said...

Hey, I am leaving for Fl in 2 weeks, I am sooo bringing back a bag of sand...lol....

Kim said...

Unreal card Sherrie! I love your ep sand mixture! It probably worked better than my sand and sealer spray! What a beautiful card!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic card... Love the sand, the beach towels... everything about it... TFS!